Information about Low Vision Evaluations
1. The Free Telephone Interview
This is required for an appointment with an IALVS doctor to determine if you are a good candidate for our products and services. Your IALVS doctor will not waste your time or money if they believe they cannot help you.
2. The Low Vision evaluation consists of three steps:
- Find out the amount of vision the patient has.
- Find out the amount of vision needed to do the task desired.
- Figure out the best magnification device that allows the person to do the task.
We find out the amount of vision the patient has by performing a low vision evaluation. It is not anything like a regular eye exam:
- We use special charts and techniques to “draw out” any residual vision that may be “hiding” in the periphery.
- We recheck the regular eyeglass prescription to improve it if possible.
- We see how magnification affects the level of vision
We find out the amount of vision needed to do the task desired with very specific questions and demonstrations.
- We ask the patient to bring samples of print they want to see (racing charts, stock market pages, automobile repair manuals…).
- We ask the patient to bring samples of activities they do (needlework, spark plugs, bridge cards…).
We figure out the best magnification device that allows the person to do the task by having many unique demonstrators in the office. We do not order any low vision device unless we prove that it works in the office first.
Can a Low Vision Doctor Help Me?
Our Low Vision doctors fit their patients with custom vision aids and devices, allowing them to maximize the use of their remaining vision.